Yellowstone and the Bear

Written by admin. Posted in 2010 Stories From the Road

When somebody screams “Sharks!” on some beach on the ocean everybody gets out of the water as fast as they can. When somebody screams “Bear!” in Yellowstone, everybody grabs a camera and runs for it.

Third trip through Yellowstone and all the trips in the mountains I have never seen bear in the wild. I have seen the old pictures and movies of when the bears would come up to your car in Yellowstone, but they have done a good job of making the  bears wild again. To see a bear now in Yellowstone is rare. This year there have been two fatalities related to Grizzley Bears in Yellowstone, but I still would like to see a bear in the wild. This fella will have to do for now.

Just like the Medicine Wheel, I wasn’t planning to go through Yellowstone again, but when you are this close how could you not. I rationalize that there are roads inside the park on the north end that I haven’t been on yet. I wasn’t expecting a parade in my honor when I got there, but hey I will take it!

I call this next picture Sheena

Made me miss my dog!

While I was watching the parade my Homies from the Kansas Patriot Guard, the Police and my official mascot the “Crow” guarded my motorcycle.

It was time to leave West Yellowstone and enter the park. Traffic seems a lot less this time, maybe related to the economy or maybe everybody is scared of the bears. The sign at the entrance does indicate that all the campgrounds and motels inside the park are full though. I ended up doing two full days in the park when I only planned one. This is part of the reason!

A biker I had met outside the park who was going to Yellowstone for his first time asked me what my favorite part was?

“Oh, the waterfalls!. Now wait, what I really like is on a cool early morning looking out and seeing all the hot thermal springs steaming on the hills.”

I am standing by a creek looking at all of the cut throat trout through the clear water, looking around at the mountains and the thermals when all of a sudden I hear a splash. I could barely grab my camera in time to get this once in a lifetime expirience! I wonder if this Osprey has a fishing license?

Somehow I got turned around and ended up in the south end of the park again when I meant to be in the north end. Maybe I wasn’t lost.

“Hmmmm, maybe all these cars are stopped for a bear? Nope, another herd of Buffalo. Wait, another traffic jam, maybe it’s a bear? Nope, a bunch of Elk, thats cool. What are all those people stopped for? Maybe a bear? Nope, three moose laying down by the river. Oh well, maybe some other day.”

Getting late, need to find my way out of here. I am on the north end now pointed the right direction and only 10 miles or so before the north end park gate at Mammoth Springs. “Hmmm, maybe, no there is only two people stopped probably some more buffalo.” I zoom on past. “Wait, hey, turn this scooter around, wow, yes yes yes!!!!”

Trackback from your site.

Comments (11)

• Unoleak

Cool, finally got a good pic of a real bear. Good for you. We’ve got pictures in Yellowstone when we were kids of bears looking in the window of our car. Scarey but fun when we were kids. Be safe.

• Chief Guyasuta

Greetings from Chief Guyasuta from the Eastern tribe known as the Seneca.

We have been waiting patiently for photos of maidens on iron horses and drinking firewater, but only see pictures of wildlife and gnarly biker dudes.

We are worried about Mr. Cole and whether all that time in the saddle has caused him to lose what you might call his giddy-up.

Go in Peace.

• Swiftwater

Bears are cool and so are fishing birds, but a chance to see maidens on steel horses makes my heart flutter. I think Two Feathers still has plenty of giddy up! Do not disprove my belief oh younger one.

• Truthseeker

Super cool pics! I’ve always loved Yellowstone – except of course that time when the heavens opened up and rained the whole blasted time. Can’t believe you really saw a real bear in the wild. Looks to be a young one although I’m certainly no expert.

I wouldn’t worry too much Chief – he’ll make it there eventually – he always does. He just likes to wander and tell stories in the meantime!! I believe it has something to do with not the destination but the journey.

• Waving Hands

No wonder the fucarwes made you assistant chief. You ride around on an iron horse through the mountains and plains and have found plenty of wild game. Your ancestors should be proud. From the sign above you must be from the wherefucarwe sect. Awesome pictures of the osprey and bear.

• Curious Badger

I agree with Chief Guyasuta. Curious Beaver is waiting less and less patiently for pictures of the famed Angry Beaver of Sturgis. The tales of Angry Beaver are legendary and must be shared (providing they are true and the Angry Beaver truly exists beyond the minds of old men.)

The time is now Two Feathers. Bring forth the pictures of Angry Beaver. This is your test. You must be brave. You must fight through those who would keep you away from Angry Beaver as if they owned her. For nobody can really own Angry Beaver. She was born to be free, to share her essence with Mother Earth (and your blog.)

We are waiting Two Feathers. Dally no more. Do not be frightened of the tiny tiny Angry Beaver. Go forth and return with pictures. It is your duty. Your obligation to your faithful followers. We are waiting.

• singstothehorse

I too have pix & memories of the black bears crawling into the cars & trash bins in Yellowstone, ‘back in the day’ en route to a place named Worland…
    Fabulous pix & tales you have of seeing the true life, both the osprey & the bear, living the life, hunting & taking care of their young…
    as to the Angry Beaver… hmmmmm ?
    the pix will be welcomed, but the grandfathers say she will show herself at the proper time, when you are ready to see her, she will appear; until that time, take delight in the knowledge that she is all around you, & she too waits for the moment to come into your life !

• HappyFace

Best story so far. The pics are awesome..my favs the waterfall, osprey and the bear. Travel safe Two Feathers your journey is far from over. Peace

• Warrior Stripes

I personally love the Sheena photo (there is a dog in the passenger seat!), the Bear photo (yay!!!!), and the Bird with Prey (AWESOME!!!!!). One lucky day for Two Feathers I say. Blessed with many good sightings.

• Red Road Warrior Woman

This road warrior woman desires the journey. With each reading my iron horse screams at me to get in the saddle and go. But each day my “White Man” life keeps me firmly attached to the mundane. Please never stop stirring the journey in me because one day I will become an “Angry Enough Beaver” to take the journey. Maybe I too could be accepted into the Fucarwe Tribe.

• Big TotumPole

You just “barely” got this picture – good thing you were observant to your surroundings.