The Hills are Alive

Written by admin. Posted in 2010 Stories From the Road

“All together now, sing”

“The hills are alive with the sound of Music”……. At least it is music to my ears.

A New York based group opposing noise pollution has made claim that the governor of South Dakota should be arresting people instead of leading the ride to Mount Rushmore on the first day of the Sturgis Rally. The governor’s response? ” We don’t mind a little noise, it is just the sound of people having fun.”  Just the biggest soap opera on bikes ever made. “Welcome to Sturgis!!

I have finally found this place they call “STURGIS!” where all the metal horses go!

The pretty maidens even want to wash my metal horse!

Some of the natives have very strange metal horses!

SOme natives make fun of those who bring metal horse by wagon

I happen to like the native costumes

And at night the costumes become festive

The Indians even have their own metal horse

And do strange native dances

And play drums real loud and have strange names like “Guns and Roses”

After night of too much firewater, I need a medicine man bad and this only metal horse they let me ride home!

Trackback from your site.

Comments (7)

• Mashe-wea

Me love strange native dance and dress.. Metal horse go swift and true.. Pretty madiens can wash my anything, and loud drums make good music. firewater and odd looking but kick @$$ iron horse good combo…

• Alan V

Cole – thanks for sharing your trip. It has been interesting following through the events of your day. Sure will be fun to hear your stories when you get back. Take care – AV

• unoleak

I don’t know,,,,I really like the architecture in Butte but everything in this town named Sturgis looks pretty good. In fact I don’t think most of it needs any renovation at all. They’d probably hurt you if you even tried. Be careful Two Feathers,,,,,wish I were you.

• Warrior Stripes

Nice lil tale you took us on there. Plenty more to come I’m sure!

• Squanto

As you turn your Iron Horse towards the south and say farewell for another year, I want you to know that through your pictures and words I have been able to live a dream through you!! I thank you , I have grown much from the inside of my soul because of your passion for life!! I look forward to the years ahead.

• Curious Badger

Some day I’ll have to take in the Sturgis experience. It sure looks like folks have a good time. It seems to be proof we aren’t advanced a bit since the early days of the Roman empire when they would do the week long drunken feasts complete with orgies and all the wine they could drink. Sometimes you just have to let it all go. In Sturgis, it looks all out gone. To fun.

• singstothehorse

Two Feathers, glad you made it safely & happily to the place of metal horses… I really like that their Chief calls the “noise” the “sound of having fun,” just like it is music to your ears!
    I love that native shirt about the wagons, gotta get me one o’ them! ha ha
    Grandfather has blessed you in your travels, with sights, sounds, knowledge, safety; Thanks for sharing those…
    more to come? we can only hope!!