Beartooth Highway

Written by admin. Posted in 2010 Stories From the Road

“You can’t park there.”

“I’m just taking a quick break, my butt hurts, I will be gone in a minute.”

“Okay, but I got 90 Rotarians coming and I need all the parking space I can get.”

’90 what?”

“Rotarians! They reserved the whole inn and they are going to be here any minute. You gotta move.”

“Okay okay, but you aren’t going to get 90 people parked here.”

“I know. I don’t know what I am going to do, most are coming in an old Yellowstone tour bus from the 30’s. You gotta move, they are going to be here any minute.”

I had just pulled over to rest in a place called Bear Creek inn. It was the first place I had seen to pull over in the last 50 miles. The guy telling me I couldn’t park there was a nervous wreck. He was pacing back and forth from where I was parked to looking up the highway, chain smoking. The parking lot was maybe good for 20 cars or 50 motorcycles. I could tell he was nervous about me wanting to go inside and eat or worse yet for him, drink and mix it up with his Rotarians.  I had been in Montana maybe a couple of hours and this was my greeting?

“Where you going, Beartooth? I wouldn’t go up there now, look its raining. They say it’s bad lightining up there too. Where is that damn bus, I don’t know what I am going to do.”

The guy was driving me crazy so even though I wasn’t ready, I fired up and left him standing there looking up the highway and pacing. I was only 20 or so miles from Red Lodge Montana where I planned to stay the night only now I was worried it would be full of Rotarians and I might have a hard time finding a room. Here comes his damn bus!

I think the guy is going to be okay, the bus wasn’t full and there was maybe 6 or 7 cars full of Rotarians following it.

Red Lodge Montana! What a neat town and starting to see a lot more motorcycles. Room was easy to find too. I had the best pizza I ever had at a little restaurant called Bogart’s that was full of local memorabilia and Humphrey Bogart pictures.

I wasn’t sure what to expect on the Beartooth highway, all I know is a lot of bikers talk about it and Charles Kuralt calls it “America’s most beuatiful road.”  Everybody in town is either talking about bears or the highway.

18 incidents of black bears entering homes in recent weeks, sounds like the highway is appropriately named!

Nothing could prepare me for the Beartooth highway. I thought I had ridden the best mountain roads already with Trail Ridge in Rocky Mountain National Park and The Million Dollar Highway between Durango and Ouray but nothing yet compares to this road. Up and up and up switchbacks that seem to never end. I think I am about done with them, look up and see traffic at least another 2000 foot above me on more switch backs. 100’s of motorcycles going both ways and the ones coming down seem to be dressed warmer than those of us going up. I finally get to an observation area that I think must be the top because the parking lot is full and a lot of bikers are digging in bags for more clothes. The view from this area shows the roads below.

I take off expecting to reach the top just around the corner, okay maybe the next corner, well just over this rise and around the next corner. Holy cow how much further, I have been riding in frozen tundra for 10 miles now! Snowpacked glaciers, high mountain lakes and………ROAD CONSTRUCTION! Somehow I got stopped in gooey tar in the construction zone, there must have been an inch of tar stuck to my tires and they were picking up every piece of gravel in the road. Ka-thump, ka-thump ka-thump, it felt like I had a flat tire and the bike was wobbling all over the place. If it wasn’t so cold up here I would pull over an try to scrap it off. Oh well it has to wear off eventually doesn’t it? It took 10 miles but finally the tar on the tires was almost off. Somehow I ended up in Cooke City on the other side of Bear Tooth highway feeling as petrified as this guy.

I love the Bearthooth Highway!! Next stop Yellowstone!

Trackback from your site.

Comments (11)

• singstothehorse

Two Feathers & Rotarians, wonder if that’d be like Angels & Cattlemen in Gunnison?! LOL !!

Never been on the Beartooth – you’ve given me my next destination! That place & the road looks Fan-F*ing-Tastic!!! Thanks for the pix & description, Cant’ Wait!!!

Sounds “cold” but is it finally drying up for you a little?

• Curious Badger

Good story Two Feathers. Best yet.

• Truthseeker

Loved the story of Beartooth Highway. Made me dizzy just looking at the pictures!!I bet it was incredible though. Hope you don’t look as petrified as the elk -kind of does the biker look in. Ha-Ha!!

• unoleak

Two Feathers; We’ve been enjoying the ride so far. I was waiting for something intelligent to say but have give up.

I hope I don’t bore all your normal friends but I’m going to catch up a bit with you & them. Tell me to shut the f…. up when you’re tired of my ramblings. You know I only have 2 drinks a nite,,,I told my DR. she didn’t know that were Big Gulps.

I was very interested in the story about the Nurse and red fox. What a homely gal she is! Not the fox. Course I do think it runs in the family. Thank God yer not related by blood. Thank God again that we both & all of us have wives that let us be crazy ass boys and follow our hearts. “WE LOVE YOU GIRLS”
    Niccole, Cindy & Jeannie. “Our Loves”

Loved the story about our “Wild Bill” great guy and I think the stories are true. Later that nite he did smoke the doobie and I’m pretty sure he has toxic shock, woke up with some kind of floss between his teeth.

Independence Pass! I think I have a picture of 4 people freezing their asses off. Why would anyone intentionally go back there? Nice veiw though!

Red Lodge Mt. I think I bought you a shirt from there, it said Bone Daddies! They used to have a retail store here in town.

The Bighorns bring back lots of memories of my Dad. When I was 6 was the first time I heard the “F” word. Course my horse had bucked me off and was now stomping his foot. I was laying in the crick (yep thats how you spell it) with 1 shoe. Spent 3 days fishing with 1 shoe. Best times of my life.

Love you Brother

• unoleak

Oh Yeah…..WTF,,,,medicine wheel? Was that the same girl you met in high school that named you “little feather” give us the rest of the story. Or I’ll find someone to give us the details…..

• Waving Hands

That looks like a must do road. Love it when you can get in the snow and need jackets in August. Glad you didn’t have any close encouners with brother bear. Although choosing between them and the rotarians?

• Waving Hands

I’m in need of help. Thought I knew quite a bit about native American tribes but can’t find anything on the Fucarwes. Can anyone out there please give me a history of them?

• admin

Waving hand, I am not sure who you are and I hope I don’t offend you, but read day 6 of last years 2009 blog to learn about the fucarwes. They are a very Nomadic tribe.

• Swiftwater

I hope Waving Hands is just pulling our leg about who the famous Fucarwes are. I thought everyone knew that the Blood Brother of the famous Geronimo was the long time Chief of the Fucarwes. He was known as Lookmannohands. Unfotunately he met his demise in an unfortunate riding stunt subsequently named after him.

• Warrior Stripes

Excellent Pics!

• Warrior Stripes

PS. We have a Bogart’s and it has awesome pizza. Perhaps the same?