Day 9

Written by admin. Posted in 2009 Stories From the Road

I spent the night in Murdo South Dakota which has one of the neatest motorhead museums you will ever find. Building after building of old rare cars, motorcycles, tractors and memorabilia. I had accidently stumbled on this place last year and wanted to come back but once I was there it seemed like I had seen it all before so this time I did not spend much time. There are a couple of Cole cars there and some other rare autos you may not see again so if you ever get the chance it is a must do.

i was anxious to get to the Missouri River

missouri river

First View of the Missouri River!

I love rivers as much as I love the mountains and the Missouri is one of my favorites. On last years trip to Sturgis I had followed the Missouri River from St. Louis back to this exact place and it was good to see it again and brought back memories from last years trip. I love the old bridges and the history that follows the River, I wanted to cross this old bridge but road construction prevented it so I had to take the boring interstate route acrossed it,

missouri bridge

While I was in the area I took the opprutunity to visit one of the many Lewis and Clark exhibits which is also another passion of mine. On last years trip I probably stopped at 20 such exhibits and had a hard time getting anywhere fast because of it. This year I needed to make better time. While there I took this pic of some of the instrurments they used in their travels for communication, mapping, documentation and it reminded me of my post on gizmos. There isn’t a lot of difference when you think about it. It gave me a great idea that I may have to pursue later on in life. Wouldn’t it be neat to retrace Lewis and Clark’s route using their diaries and sketches converting them into a blog with todays pictures and maps? Of course I would have to do it on a motorcycle. Merriweather Lewis was know as a great observer and documented everything he saw. I would read his blog today if he had one. They say that everytime Lewis and Clark went out they came across something new and wonderful.

lewis and clark

I stopped in Mitchell SD for gas and this guy pulls up with a trailer hauling two motorcycles. He caught me examining the trailer trying to figure out the mechanicals and couldn’t resist showing me how it works. I did a video of it and think I can build my own, especially after he told me it cost $5600!

tilt trailer

More on trailers and Sturgis later.

The road was calling so after watching the Hells Angels in action intimidating everyone else at the truck stop I startede to head east again, I have another river to see, but before I left I couldn’t resist this fella.

floppy eared dog

Todays post short because some hard riding ahead to get to the Mississippi! No time for spellcheck and phrasing either!

Cole

Trackback from your site.

Comments (11)

• MI Gal

IS THAT A BLUE WEIM?!?!?! AHHHHH, HOW CUTE!

• admin

The owner said it was a solid color german shorthair. It was 16 months old. Made me miss Sadie for sure.

• MI Gal

Did you pass them a PETfection business card? 🙂

• JD

Finally had a chance to relax and read. Well worth the time. Excellent read and pics. Looking forward to the next entry. If you head to Northfield beware the townfolk.

• admin

AH, someone who knows their outlaw history, I ain’t scared of them blockhead farmers!

• Lucille

Keep up the good work, sounds like we are headed for an adventure.

• Jo

May have been short and sweet but as always, worth reading. Looking forward to more!

• Bro Bob

We followed a little bit of the Lewis & Clark trail on the Missouri when we went to Sidney. MT last summer. Went through the Badlands too. I think both are awesome and I want to spend more time on it someday.
    Do you suppose maybe we have some of the same blood running thru us?

• admin

So, when do I get to help you pick out that Heritage Special?

• Mark

I HAVE been reading your blog. My pen has been silent because no one what’s to hear me down here and I know my place. But for the record I think I may be the first to ask… How’s the eats? I know you can’t be living solely on truck stop coffee. This fat Italian needs at least one BBQ rib from time to time. And speaking of ribs… mine are sore from Lucille poking them, asking, “When are we going to do something like that? Cole said we could take off for Sturgis last year. But NO, you said the company needs us, and now look.”
    Well, do I need to say more? She’s right, we were right there, and now I’m bummed after reading about your experience’s, it’s really cool. I’m there with you. Just don’t tell Lucy or we will be leaving Wednesday…Without the Trailer I may add. B.C. or Gilly Bob would can my ass. (Sorry MOM. I mean… fire me)
    Ride safe, like you do. Enjoy the time. Save the rubber bands incase there might be a tax on new ones. Keep the blog informed with your inspirations, and say yes to a sweat lodge.

• admin

Unfortunately, I haven’t had that special meal worth talking about yet and not for lack of trying. Smoked trout in West Yellowstone stands out but it was only the appetizer, Still looking though! I have just as much fun on a 3 day ride so you and Lucy should do that afterall you are in scenery mecca where you are at now!!